Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Christopher's Birth


I have had people ask me to post about Christopher birth, and because I am a people pleaser I will do it J I do want to warn you, it may be a little much for some…so read at your own risk.

On August 31st I went to the doctor to be checked. When he checked me he said “You and Elliot have the same bishop’s score. I would say you have a 95% chance of having this baby late.” I was super disappointed, I was done being pregnant.

On September 6th I went in to be checked again, and again, no progress so my doctor stripped my membranes. OUCH!!!!!

On September 12th I got a call from the doctor’s office telling me my doctor was going to be out of town the next week so he wanted to check me again to see if they could induce me early, if that was what I wanted. I was SO SO SO SO SO excited!!!!!!!!!!!! I went in and my doctor checked me and said “well, how do you feel about having your baby on Thursday?” I about kissed him I was so excited!!!!!! I went back to work, told just about everyone I work with (like I said I was excited) and started getting this ready for me to be gone for a month.

Elliot and I were told we had to be at the hospital at 4am. We were so excited we got there at 3:30. We checked in, I changed and we waited.

Around 4:30 the nurse came in and checked me and I was 1cm. I would not let them induce me until I had my epidural. The nurse told me they could call in the on call anesthesiologist or I could wait 10 minutes (for shift change) and the day anesthesiologist would be in. I told her I would wait (no reason to wake up the one on call). I got my epidural about 6:35 and they induced me shortly after. At 9:00 my doctor came in to break my water (and was pretty upset that I wasn’t induced until 6:35) and put the monitors on Aldo (that is what we called Christopher until he was born).

As he was walking out I let him know that Haley told me I was not allowed to have this baby until after 5:00pm because she wanted to be there to watch, he said something to the effect of “okay, we will wait till dinner to have the baby” as if he really had any say in it. I was in and out of sleep most the morning and afternoon. I tried to stay awake while people were there visiting me…but it didn’t always happen. Whenever I would lay on my back Aldo’s heart rate would drop so I had to sleep on my side and I remember my hip hurting pretty bad so every few hours I would have to have help rolling from one side to another. Every time I would change sides I would have to have oxygen (for Aldo) for about 15 minutes. Around 12:30 they checked me again and I was 3 cm and 80% effaced. At that point I realized my doctor was probably right, I wouldn’t have the baby until dinner time.

My nurse came in to check me around 2:30, I was 4cm, and she said “something doesn’t feel right, I am going to go get the ultrasound machine” and walked out. A few minutes later she came back with 2 other nurses and a portable ultrasound machine. She put that jelly stuff on my stomach then started the ultrasound. She put the wand thingy just under my right boob, looked at me and said…that is not a bum that is a head! I looked at Elliot and told him, “looks like I am having a c-section”. The nurse told Elliot he could be in the OR if he wanted, which he did, so she went and got him a super awesome white suit to wear. When she brought him in his suit I asked if they had a mirror they could set up so I could watch the c-section, she said she would see what she could find.

About 5:00pm they wheeled me in to the OR and started prepping me for the c-section.

When I got in to the OR they asked if I could move myself from the bed I was on to the operating table, I wasn't too numb so I did it, mostly by myself. (At the time I didn’t fully understand why I wouldn't be able to move myself, I later understood.) As they were prepping me they asked if I wanted them to open the blinds so my family could watch; I knew Haley would want to watch so I figured that would be a good idea. I asked the nurse about the mirror again and she said they don’t have one but they would lower the curtain that was ‘hanging’ at about my armpits when they pulled him out so I could see him. I was a little disappointed.

As I laid on the table, with just the nurses in the room, and waited and waited and I thought Elliot was going to miss it, but finally he came in. I laid there a little longer, holding Elliot’s hand (I think he was more scared then I was), and after what seemed like hours my doctor came in. As he walked in he said “now that Haley is here we can start.” By that time I couldn’t feel anything from my armpits down, now THAT is a weird feeling. The table I was laying on wasn’t stationary; it moved, I kinda felt like I was going to roll off the side…it was weird!! Anyway, after they cut me I heard Dr. Judd say, “That’s an arm, we don’t want that yet.”

As I was laying there being pulled in all different directions I just kept thinking “this is it, I am going to have my baby soon” I was so excited! At 5:13pm he was born, 8bs 8oz, 20.5” long. From what I have been told, Christopher came out bum first and his head got stuck, my mom said it was super scary, that the doctor had his arm, up to his elbow in side of me trying to get his head out. My mother in-law told me that my c-section was scarier then Bella’s in New Moon. When they finally got him out they showed him to me (however, they didn’t lower the curtain like they said they would) and took him to the warming table to get his stats. He squeaked a bit, but it was super high and I thought, my little boy couldn’t make a sound like that so I just laid there looking at him thinking “cry!!! Cry, so I know you are okay!!” I was freaking out (in my head) a little bit, then he made more noise and I was happy. As they were taking his stats Elliot looked at me and said “Christopher Elliot?” I agreed and that was his name :) The poor little boy tried to come out scrotum first so he was super swollen (and to tell you the truth, that was one of the first things I saw when I looked at him). As they were doing his stats Elliot was over watching them and looking at his new baby boy. At one point he came over to me to make sure I was okay, and I told him I was fine and that he needed to be with his baby. They finished his stats, swaddled him, put him in his ‘crib’ and let Elliot take him out to meet everyone.

Then they cleaned and stitched (and stapled) me up and told me it was time to take me back to my room. They asked if I could move myself from the operating table back to my bed, there was no way I was going to be able to do that; I couldn't even move my tow by myself. So, they took this funky, flat thing and moved me from the table to my bed. (When I told my boss what I am about to tell you it totally grossed him out…there is your warning) As I laid on my bed thinking about everything that had just happened one of my first thoughts was…that felt like a ride at lagoon, not emotionally, physically. The table moved a lot...and that is about the only thing I can think of comparing it to. As they wheeled me back to my room I stated to shake violently, I guess that is a side effect from the anesthetic, it sucked really bad and didn't go away for about an hour.

They got me in my room and Elliot handed me Christopher, because I was still very numb it was kind of hard to hold him but I was so excited for my new baby!!!

I held him for a bit, and then they took him to wash him and put clothes on.

After his bath they brought him back, I fed him and the rest his history.

No comments: